Monday 19 May 2008

Cut my cote, literally & proverbially

While researching square cut garments for classes this summer, my first thought was the classic Dorothy Burnham book Cut My Cote that was a revelation to weavers in the 70's and continues to be a starting point, reference and touchstone for medieval recreationsts like the SCA. I believe square cut garments to be the basis of the early Folkwear Patterns though the company progressed to more and more tailored garments.

An online search of the phrase "cut my cote" brought me to the name of John Heywood (c. 1497 - c. 1580) , an early compiler of proverbs. Like me, many will be more familiar with his grandson John Donne. I'd been thinking about proverbs & "family sayings" after a discussion at Mudcat Cafe, and was struck by how many proverbs that had their first documented airing in the collection of John Heywood were a part of my education, though in updated English, for the most part:

To keep the wolf from the door.
A peny for your thought.
Beggars should be no choosers.
Haste maketh waste.
Look ere ye leape.
No man ought to looke a given horse in the mouth.
One good turne asketh another.
One swallow maketh not summer.
Set the cart before the horse.
She frieth in her owne grease.
Small pitchers have wyde eares.
The rolling stone never gathereth mosse.
To robbe Peter and pay Poule.
Two heads are better then one.
When all candles bee out, all cats be gray.
When the sunne shineth, make hay.
Would yee both eat your cake and have your cake?

I'm going to think of this, the next time someone asks me "why are you interested in all that old stuff?" Age doesn't dim relevance. There's my proverb for the day.

No comments: