Monday 31 March 2008

That's Flippin' heartbreaking

One of the pages I regularly peruse in the Sunday newspaper is the real estate listings. I've done this for years, just to keep an eye on what my house would be worth on the market. This Sunday's front page story about the assorted horrors of the housing market foreclosure crisis in the area had my burb's housing stock as down 11% in value. Looking at the range of prices made me think that the average must have been lowered by the historic mansions out on the boulevards. What caught my eye in a shocking way, and opposite the downward pricing trend, was seeing a listing for the house I grew up in for $179K. Yikes.

That brought back anew the sorrow at having to sell that house to pay for my aunt's nursing home in the years I was going full tilt at starting a retail business. Because of the business, I was unable to fix the house up to get either a good price or be able to rent it out, and keep it longer. There are half a dozen shows now about "Flipping that house," but in the 80s that niche wasn't such an obvious thing. I was able to get into the house, just on the first floor, a few years ago. I saw the "garage sale" sign on the corner and couldn't resist a peek. I was met with effusive greetings from the darlin lady who lived next door who introduced me to the current owners who talked about what had been done with the house. I particularly enjoyed their story about having a First Annual Safecracking Party to get open the large office safe of my aunt's that had been accidentally locked by a real estate agent (with the slip with the combination INSIDE the safe). Someone got it open the first party.

The last time I drove by, I was enchanted with the three color paint job they'd done , showing off the original storm/screens on the front windows. It was warming to know that the current family loved the place as much as we did & also felt "It lives like a larger house." With 4 "official" bedrooms and 2 baths, it was large enough for the five adults, one kid and one cranky cocker spaniel when I was growing up.

I know the guy I sold it to (for less than a third of the current asking price) had to do some serious renovations. When sold, all the phone lines were hardwired in or 4 prong plugs. All the electric ran through 4 screw in glass fuses. Both bathrooms needed tile work. The heating system was one of those behemoth converted coal furnaces taking up a quarter of the basement, complete with asbestos wrapped ducts. The leaded glass cabinets in the dining room needed repair. I don't deny lots of work and likely lots of money had to go into that house. Yet, it had a working fireplace, leaded glass built ins, hardwood floors that had been protected by carpet, and one of the most comfortable porches in town. But it still does make me want to weep that I couldn't have hung on to it. More bitter the pill is that I sacrificed my chance to keep that lovely house in order to keep my aunt safe while I built the business, and I don't have the business anymore, either. .

For those companions of my youth, you can oogle the old house along with me.

1 comment:

Tea Wench said...

Last weekend Brian was at a moving sale at the house without realizing it was my childhood home till later that day, in dinner conversation. The house is sold already, for the astonishing price that was more than 3 times what I sold it for years ago. It is to weep.