Tuesday 1 April 2008

Daffodilly Watch

Washington DC may have it's cherry blossoms, but in Cleveland the glorious sign of spring for east siders is watching the patches and fields and swathes of Daffodils perk up and come to bloom along Liberty er... Doctor Martin Luther King Junior Drive for those younger than 30 or relentlessly PC.
**********************************************************
An aside here.. can I get snarky? As a child I was told that Liberty Blvd. was given that name in honor of men who died in the First World War & that many of the trees were planted as specific memorials to them. I know the tree memorial was true up around the Shaker Lakes - some of the brass circles set in concrete cubes are still there at the foot of the trees. Now if that's a true thing, taking an honor away from a large number of honored dead to give it to one seems unjust. It sets up arguments for "well who had a bigger impact, blah blah blah" Ain't the point. Dr. King should have gotten something wonderful named for him, absolutely. Should they have burdened one of the main gorgeous commutes with an unwieldy name (when Liberty was so short, sweet, pronounceable and well known) ? I feel sorry for folks looking for it on the freeway, might think they're going for a typo'd dairy: MLK Drive. SO, if the naming of Liberty is NOT based on WW1 casualties, I take a huge Roseanne Rosannadanna "Neverrrrrmindddd" (for the very young, that's like "whatever²") My snark about how stupid it looks, and hard to read it is, still stands.
**********************************************************
As I was sayin... the daffodils are the joy of spring. Between last week and this, the nubs of green have come up.. there are now 2-3 inch high clumps of daffodils-to-be all up and down Liberty/MLK. I believe in spring, I believe in spring, I do.

No comments: